Electric vehicles (EVs) today come in all shapes, types and sizes. From tax credits to free charging stations, it is now easier and more affordable for you to own and operate an EV.
In fact, our short commutes (on average around 25 miles or less), moderate temperatures with little seasonal variation and historically high gasoline prices make Hawaii an ideal environment for electric vehicles.
EVs & Energy Usage
If you’re getting an EV, you’ll want to consider how will affect monthly electricity bill, especially if you’re charging at home.
The great news is that you still can keep your energy costs down while driving an EV by “offsetting”, which is reducing your energy usage in other areas equivalent to the amount of energy you need to charge your car.
Using energy-efficient appliances and equipment is the best way to get this done. In addition to offsetting your energy costs, you’ll be making an even more positive impact on the environment.
Check out other areas of your home where you can save and make a difference:
- EVs convert over 77% of the electrical energy from the grid to the power the wheels of the vehicle. Conventional gasoline vehicles only convert about 12%–30% of the energy stored in gasoline to power at the wheels.
- EVs emit no tailpipe pollutants. EPA and DOE’s Beyond Tailpipe Emissions Calculator can help you estimate the greenhouse gas emissions associated with charging and driving an EV.
- Electric motors provide quiet, smooth operation and stronger acceleration and require less maintenance than internal combustion engines (ICEs).
- EVs are overall newer than their gas powered counterparts and are often more digitally-connected with charging stations providing the option to control charging from an app.
- This measure may qualify for valuable tax credits through the Inflation Reduction Act. Please check with your tax professional on applicability.
- Qualifying EVs with Hawaii state-issued EV license plates may use the HOV/Zipper lane. Use high-occupancy and zipper lanes without passengers.
- Electric Vehicle Savings Calculator
- Drive Electric Hawaii (DEH)
- Hawaiian Electric: Electric Vehicles
- Blue Planet Foundation: Clean Transportation
- Sustainable Transportation Coalition of Hawaii
- Hawaii EV Association
- Electric Vehicle Education