News Release: September 1, 2021
Hawaii Energy Seeking Applicants For Its EmPOWER Grant Program
Grants of up to $5,000 in reimbursement funding to be competitively awarded to small businesses and nonprofits to help facilitate energy efficiency projects
Honolulu, Hawaii – Hawaii Energy today announced a call for applications for its EmPOWER Grant program, designed specifically for nonprofits and small businesses who are pursuing energy efficiency projects at their facilities to cut back on energy use, increase resiliency, and ultimately, reduce their operating costs.
“Many of Hawaii’s businesses and nonprofits are still grappling with high energy costs as they try to keep their doors open through these trying times,” said Chester Carson, affordability & accessibility program implementer at Hawaii Energy. “Through the EmPOWER Grant program, Hawaii Energy is offering more than $600,000 in grants to help organizations implement energy efficiency projects at their facilities that will save both energy and money.”
Organizations may apply for a grant of up to $5,000, which may cover 100 percent of eligible energy efficiency projects. Applications will be available Sept. 1, 2021 and must be submitted by Sept. 30, 2021.
EmPOWER Grant funding may be used to cover the following expenses of energy efficiency projects:
- New energy efficient equipment that qualifies for a Hawaii Energy incentive
- Parts, accessories and other materials necessary for installation
- Labor for old equipment removal, site preparation and installation of energy efficiency measure(s)
- Shipping costs for equipment and materials
- Taxes for the above items
To be eligible for the EmPOWER Grant, applicants must fulfill the following requirements:
- Be a commercial rate schedule account holder of an electric utility on the island of Hawaii, Lanai, Maui, Molokai, or Oahu where the electricity-saving energy efficiency measure is being installed.
- Business must fall into ONE of the following categories:
- 501(c)3 nonprofit organization
- Small businesses with electric rate Schedule “G”
- Small business with less than 5,000 sq. ft. facility
In 2020, Hawaii Energy distributed more than $2 million to 210 small businesses, nonprofits and restaurants through the grant program. The energy-efficient upgrades are expected to help save more than $447,000 in total electricity costs within the first year.
More information and applications are available online at hawaiienergy.com/for-business/empowergrant. Applicants must also complete and include a Hawaii Energy Commercial Incentive Application, an IRS Form W-9, and obtain and include itemized quotes from one of Hawaii Energy’s Clean Energy Ally (CEA) contractors. For a full list of CEAs, click here. Grant awards will be disbursed after project completion as a reimbursement after all required documentation has been submitted, verified and approved by Hawaii Energy.
For information on the EmPOWER Grant program, Hawaii Energy will be hosting a virtual informational webinar on Wednesday, Sept. 1, 2021 at 12 p.m. Interested applicants may register for the webinar at https://bit.ly/empower-grant-webinar. Additional information and eligibility can be found at https://hawaiienergy.com/for-business/empower-grant or contact Chester Carson at HEGrants@Leidos.com.
Media Contact:Shayna Doi
Marketing & Communications Manager